The history of the Association - today
Our present day Combined Irish Regiments’ Association is a direct descendant of arguably the first Regimental Association formed by the late Charles Prior, of the disbanded 18th Royal Irish, in London during late 1922/early 1923.
After WW2 the combined parade resumed as usual but is now led by the Pipes and Drums of the London Irish Rifles, who, without interruption, have consistently and loyally supported our Parades. Past chairmen of the Association were Mr Scott and the late Maj. Jim MacLeod, London Irish Rifles. The present chairman is Colonel D.H.S.L Maitland-Titterton who continues the tradition of giving his wholehearted commitment to the success of the Annual Parade.
Our parade continues to go from strength to strength with scores of veterans from Irish Regiments and other members of Irish Regimental Associations turning out to march to the Cenotaph in June. The Association parades on the Sunday morning the day following the Queens Birthday Parade and the trooping of the colour. With Whitehall closed to traffic, drums beating, pipes playing and regimental and association banners flying, over 400 people march out to honour the soldiers of all Irish regiments past and present.