In addition to their two Regular battalions, the Royal Irish Fusiliers raised a number of Service, and home based Reserve and Garrison battalions:
Total - 13:
Regular - 2. Service - 6. Reserve - 2. Garrison - 3.
At the outbreak of war, they were based at Shorncliffe as part of 10th Brigade, 4th Division and landed in France during August 1914.
After more than three years on the Western Front, in August 1917, the battalion transferred to 107th Brigade, 36th (Ulster) Division and, in February 1918, to 108th Brigade in the same Division.
At the outbreak of war, they were based at Quetta India and joined 82nd Brigade, 27th Division in France during December 1914.
The battalion moved with the Division to Salonika, arriving in early December 1915. They were then transferred to 31st Brigade, 10th (Irish) Division in November 1916 and moved to Palestine with the Division in September 1917 and where they ended their war.
Formed in August 1914, they joined 31st Brigade, 10th (Irish) Division, and sailed to Gallipoli in July 1915, landing at Suvla Bay in August.
In October 1915, the battalion moved with the Division to Salonika and, in November 1916, they absorbed the 6th Bttn. In September 1917, they moved with the Division to Palestine.
They left the 10th (Irish) Division in April 1918 and arrived in France during May, where they initially came under command of 66th (2nd East Lancashire) Division before transferring in August to 48th Brigade, 16th (Irish) Division and when they absorbed the 11th Bttn.
Formed in August 1914, they joined 31st Brigade, 10th (Irish) Division.
The battalion's record was the same as the 5th Bttn until, in November 1916, they were absorbed into that unit.
Formed in September 1914, they joined 49th Brigade,16th (Irish) Division and landed in France during February 1916.
In October 1916, they amalgamated with the 8th Bttn to form the 7th/8th Bttn. The combined battalion was finally disbanded in February 1918.
Formed in September 1914, they joined 49th Brigade, 16th (Irish) Division and landed in France during February 1916.
The battalion's record was same as the 7th Bttn and, in October 1916, the two battalions amalgamated to form the 7th/8th Bn.
Formed from the Armagh, Monaghan and Cavan Volunteers, they joined 108th Brigade, 36th (Ulster) Division and landed in France in October 1915.
During September 1917, the battalion absorbed two dismounted squadrons of the North Irish Horse and was retitled 9th (North Irish Horse) Battalion.
Formed in June 1918, they absorbed the cadre of 7th Bn, Royal Dublin Fusiliers and joined 48th Brigade, 16th (Irish) Division.
The battalion landed in France during July 1918 before being absorbed by the 5th Bttn the following month.
The Victoria Cross was awarded to two men, who were serving with the Royal Irish Fusiliers during the First World War:
3,589 men from the Royal Irish Fusiliers are listed in the CWGC database of First World War deaths:
Figures as per 2014.