Our present day Combined Irish Regiments’ Association is a direct descendant of arguably the first Regimental Association formed by the late Charles Prior, of the disbanded 18th Royal Irish, in London during late 1922/early 1923. Simultaneously, branches were formed in Dublin, Bristol and Guernsey.
The London branch, because of its large membership, was influential in the development of these branches. Regimental Associations of the other ‘disbanded’ regiments were formed at this time and they amalgamated to form the first parade at the Cenotaph in June 1923.
The initial parade was huge in numbers by virtue of the combination of the Disbanded Regimental Associations and it was led by the Regimental Band of HM Irish Guards from Horse Guards Parade, via Whitehall, to the Cenotaph for the Service of Remembrance, then up through Storeys Gate corner with a right turn into the St James Park entrance to Horse Guards Parade.
The Regimental Band of HM Irish Guards continued to lead the parade from 1923 until 1939.